Thursday, April 28, 2011

It Makes Noises Now

After searching far and wide for an online source of free sound effects, I eventually stumbled upon this.  Which has been an incredibly useful resource.  I would have recorded my own audio, however I have the necessary equipment, or the funds to get said equipment (funds in this case referring to the train ticket that would get me to the media loans department).

While the site doesn't have an exactly comprehensive list of audio effects, it has enough to allow you to find audio that will fit with a bit of editing.

The bricks, for example, contain the sound of rubble falling, thunder, a gun firing and a mountain lion roaring at various points.  All happen at once when the big ball of bricks comes hurtling out of the wall.

The rubble effects are the ones that I am most satisfied with.  The swooshes when Andrew meets the wall and the dirt hit sounds need refining.
The swooshes need to be soften, and the sound varied.  I did attempt to vary the audio using the pitch shifter effect in Premiere, slightly adjusting the pitch for each occurrence of the sound, however the audio wouldn't render in the preview or when encoding.  I haven't yet figured out why it does not work.
The dirt hit effects currently sound a little too wet, but with everything else happening in the scene, I could possibly get away with simply reducing the volume of them.

Last post, I lied.  There was at least one more bit of 3D work to do, and that was for the outro shot.  As you can see in the video up top, it looks more like a cardboard cutout than a wall.  It was always intended to be a placeholder, but I either forgot about it or got lazy.
I'll post about how I created the scene later, for now, here's how it looks:


No comments:

Post a Comment